Durable and affordable, laminate flooring is a popular choice for budget-conscious homeowners in the Asheville & Hendersonville area. Our experts at Floor Coverings International often have to explain what laminate flooring is, along with its benefits and drawbacks. To help you with your home renovation planning, we’ve put together a quick set of facts about laminate so you can find out if it’s the right choice for your home.
The Backbone of Laminate
Laminate is made up of several layers that are fused together. The primary material is high-density fiberboard. The design you see on it is created through a 3D printing process. The image is affixed to the top of the layers of high-density fiberboard and finished with a wear layer made of aluminum oxide that protects against scratches and stains. Laminate comes in squares that click together to form your floor.
Pros of Laminate Flooring
- Durability. High-density fiberboard is extremely hard. This, coupled with the layer of aluminum oxide that laminate is finished with, makes it more resistant to scratches and dents than natural hardwood.
- Simple Installation & Repair. Laminate flooring can often be installed on top of an existing floor or subfloor. It is what’s called a floating floor, which means it doesn’t require nails or other tools to install. It’s also easy to replace just one piece of your laminate floor if damage does occur.
- Cost. Laminate is much more affordable than natural hardwood.
Cons of Laminate Flooring
- Lifetime. Most laminate floors come with a warranty of about 10 years. They are not expected to last much longer, and will have to be replaced more frequently than hardwood.
- Resale. Laminate flooring does not add any resale value to your home like natural flooring.
- No Refinishing. Hardwood can be made to look like new again when it is refinished. Laminate cannot be refinished because of its layered design. If you sanded it down, the image on top would be gone or damaged.
If you have more questions about laminate flooring, contact Floor Coverings International of Western NC today. We are proud to serve the greater Asheville & Hendersonville area.
Photo Credit: welzevoul