Over the years, the number of options for carpet materials has increased drastically. Here in the Asheville & Hendersonville area, some of the natural materials like wool remain popular, while synthetic options like nylon can also be great alternatives. At Floor Coverings International of Western North Carolina, we always try to give our customers as much information as possible about their flooring options. If you’re thinking about installing new carpet in your home, be sure to check out our simple guide to carpet materials below!
This natural carpet material offers a deep, rich look that’s great for more formal living rooms. Its durability also means it can stand up to lots of foot traffic.
– Highly durable
– Hides soil well
– Releases dirt easily when cleaned with moisture
– Environmentally friendly
– Naturally flame retardant
– Very effective at neutralizing indoor air contaminants
– More expensive than most other materials
– Can distort over time with lots of use
– Absorbs stains more easily than some carpets
Nylon is the most popular carpet option available on the market. It is a very versatile material that can be used for a wide range of carpet styles and colors.
– Can be very soft
– Often features stain-resistant protection
– Elasticity and resilience allow the carpet to reshape after heavy furniture has been placed on it or dragged across the floor
– Tons of style options available
– Professional cleaning methods are very effective at making the carpet look almost new again
– It’s synthetic so some gasses will be released into the air for a while right after installation
– Lower quality nylon can be prone to fading over time
Olefin, or polypropylene, is commonly used for carpets and indoor/outdoor rugs. This is because the material is exceptionally good at dealing with moisture and can handle tough cleaning agents.
– Designed to resist stains
– Can stand up to harsh cleaning agents
– Colorfast, so the color won’t fade easily over time
– Frays easily if used in a high traffic area
– Tends to mat down
– Low heat resistance
– Off-gasses because it’s synthetic
– Easily stained by oil-based materials
Our Carpet Tips
Generally speaking, nylon is popular for a reason. It is extremely durable, and not overly expensive. It also comes in a huge range of colors and styles, so you know that you can find a design you love. If you are hoping for something environmentally friendly and still durable, wool is also a great choice. Lastly, a room that’s prone to a lot of moisture exposure might need an olefin carpet or rug. If you have more questions give us a call at Floor Coverings International of Western North Carolina. We are proud to offer free, in-home consultations to the greater Asheville & Hendersonville area.
Photo Credit: Severija